The brick “arts and crafts” homes were constructed primarily in the 1930′s, Original residents say this type of home took about one year to build. Much of the original tract of land part of the Decker Farm was developed by the Merchantile Trust Company.
Mr. Sihrett supervised the building of the Subdivision and named it “Southampton” after a town in his native England. Many other streets in Southampton are also named after towns in England: Nottingham, Hampton, Devonshire, Lansdowne, Murdoch, Sutherland, Brannon and Macklind.
Early Southampton residents carried water to their homes from a spring at Nottingham and Kingshighway until a water main was constructed.